User Personas and Artefact Personas
This pod gave an insight in how to design for the upcoming assessment. It highlighted a particular process to follow.
- Steps to build an interface
- User needs/site objectives
- Functional specifications/content requirements
- Interaction design/information architecture
- Interface design/nav design/info design
- Visual Design
It taught us we must consider what type of audience we’d be communicating with. Either ‘big’ or ‘small’ in terms of demographics.
A big audience can mean any and all people would be find a need in the product/interface. This would be a universal design that targeted a core audience such as the site eBay for example.
A small audience refers to a particular group of people who may find interest in the product or require its services. By intimately knowing the users are we able to create more specific personas and get more detailed feedback by users.
What to consider when building personas:
- How they reach their target
- Are they expecting cross-platform
- Different personas for different platforms
- Are they looking for specific item
- Trust the site to serve what is expected
- Direct users
- Depends on user’s mindset
- Task-dependent is simpler
- Browse and searching available
The mental model describes how differently a youth or elderly person would approach a certain topic/interaction. Based on their assumed knowledge and intentions the reactions to an interface may be very different. It can illustrate how users approach your design and unveil how the user base interacts.
Product Personality Questions:
- What would he or she be like?
- How would you expect users to react when they first view product
- How would you describe this product to a friend
- How is the product different from competitive products
- Which celebrity (car, movie, etc.) is the product most like; least; why?
This pod was extremely helpful as it provoked me to think deeper about my target audience and focus on more than just an age-group. It also taught me new ways to thoroughly understand and research your specific audience. This has helped the process in completing assessment 2.